"Around the settlement of Wayne B. Dyer, grew up quite a village between the years of 1846 and 1849. Being on a direct route between Milwaukee and Stevens Point, Quite a number in search of a home were prevailed to stop here. A post office was here established in December, 1847, Cyrus Root recieving the appointment of Postmaster. During the first year, the whole recepts of the office was only a trifle over $4. Mr. Root retained the office for three years, being succeded by Norman Mead, who held it little over a year, resigning in favor of Mr. Pulver. The latter gentleman continued in charge until the inauguration of Abriham Lincoln in 1863, in favor of John Sickles. From that time until 1872, Mr. Sickles and Lewis Stevens filled the position. in 1872; W. A. Pulver was appointed, serving until the fall of 1878, when Henry Root was commisioned.
>Wayne B. Dyer built the first hotel in 1844. The building was made of logs, but in time was replaced by a large frame house. Mr. Dyer disposed of the property in 1853, to Abijah Stevens, and the hotel was discontinued.
In 1848, John Boutwell built a large dwelling-house, and one year later converted the house into a tavern which he named the "Otsego House." His spelling of the word "house" was unique. His sign read "Otsego Hous."When informed that he should add "e" to the word, he replied, "Pshaw, you can't fool me; that would make it hous-y?" The sign was put up as he spelled it, but travelers making so much sport of the spelling caused him to take it down and make the correction after a time. Mr. Boutwellonly only continued the house for one year, when he sold to Norman Mead, who ran it until 1857, when Philemon Root purchased it. From that time to January, 1880, it has passed successively into the hands of W. A. Pulver, Solhem Mead, Lot Mead, Josiah Loomis, Archie McDougal, Mr. Willard, Mr. Robbins, Mr. Thompson, Mr. Bodie, Samual Slifer, and Fayette Ashley, the present owner.
In 1854, Dennison Dunning erected a hotel known as the "Gothic House," and continued until his death, which occurred in 1864. The widow then continued the business for almost three years, when she married John Boutwell, who, as landlord, served his guests until 1873, when the business was abandoned.
The village attained a fair degree of prosperity before the completion of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, in 1864, which was located two miles north."