"On the 16th day of March, 1865. Lemeul H. Doyle purchased of Damon Starr 120 acres of the southeast quarter of section 11, and, on the 25th day of March, purchased of Eason another 115 acres of the northeast quarter of section 14. The main object of the purchase was to locate therin a village. On the 26th day of August, 1865, Alfred Topliff, County Surveyor, completed and had a recorded plat of the village of Doylestown.
David Metcalf, a former resident of Columbus, erected a store here in the summer of 1865, being the first in the village. He operated it for four months, or until it burned down. From that time until 1868, no improvements were made in the place, and, in January of that year, only four families resided there. Mr. Doyle determined that the place should have a start, and made a public offer to give a free lot to anyone that would build therin. His offer was accepted, and during the year 1868, about 30 housed were erected. Eaton & Canfeild built at the time a $2,500 elevator, with a storage copacity of 15,000 bushels of grain. Mr. Eaton died shortly after, and the elevator was burned in July, 1876.
The first lot sold was purchased by Thornton Thompson, who erected the first house in the village. This house was afterward sold to Joseph Doyle, who, in 1868, built an addition to it, and opened the first hotel.
The first freight was recieved by J. H. Davis September 19, 1865, consisting of two bundles of sash, the charges on which were 25 cents. The first shipment was two cars of bulk wheat to Curtis and Mann, Milwaukee, sent by Metcalf and Starr September 16, 1865. First ticket was sold May 22, 1866.
D. Metcalf was the first station agent, serving from September, 1865, to November 1, 1866. L. H. Doyle was then apppointed, serving until November, 1873, when Charles A. Doyle recieved the appointment. From the building of the road to March, 1880, D. Reed, J. A. Doyle, F. W. Whitcomb, Julia Williams, C. A. Doyle, C. S. Bensted, L. W. Davis, D. E. Moore, A. W. Hancock, H. A. Doyle, S. C. Budlong, F. N. Mils, S. B. Morse, George C. Eright, L. H. Martin, J. O. Baker, P. Vandercook, and E. J. Conner have served a telegraph operators.
The origional plat was composed of nine blocks off the northeast corner of Section 14. The first addition was made, June 13, 1868, and was also off the the northeast quarter of Section 14. The second addition was made, June 13, 1869, and was off the southeast corner of Section 11, and comprised about forty acres. Isaac B. Downs, about this time, made an addition, of about fifteen acres, to the plat of the village, off southeast quarter of Section 11.
The first schoolhouse built near where the village was laid out was in 1859. In 1869, a larger and better house was erected, at a cost of $1,250. The first teacher in the new schoolhouse was Miss Emma L. Holmes. In the winter of 1879-80, Peter F. McMahon was the teacher.
First birth in the village was Martin, son of John Maloney, in the summer of 1866. The first death was Mrs. Thompson, July, 1866.
Catholic Church--In 1865, Father McGurke organized a society in this place, and in 1866 a church was erected, at a cost of $1,500. The congregation in creasing in numbers, the house became too small to accamodate those who desired to attend; therefore, in 1874, it was enlarged, at an additional cost of $700. In 1877, a parsonage was erected, adjacent to the church, at a cost of $750. A sunday school has usually been maintaned during the summer months. Fathers McGurke, O'Kiefe, Gray, Roche, and Murphy, have ministered to the spirtiual welfare of the congregation, from its organization up to 1880. At that itme, eighty families were represented in its membership.
Methodist Episcopal Church--A class was organized here at a very early day, religious services being held in private houses and in the schoolhouses in the neighborhood. The church having become numerically strong, in 1870 determined to erect a church ediface. In order to best carry out their intentions, David Edwards, David D. James, James S. Hallack, George Ormsbee, John J. Scott, George Young, Norman B. Dayton, Lester Hoard, and Lemuel H. Doyle were elected Trustees, by the congregation. The first meeting of the Trustees was heldin the shop of L. H. Doyle, January 8, 1871, Rev. B. M. Fullmer, presiding, all the Trustees being present. It was then elected to erect a church ediface, which was completed and dedicated Sunday, October 3, 1873, by Rev. Samuel Fallows, D. D., of Madison, Wis., Rev J. B. Cole then being then the preacher in charge. The cost of the church was $2,000. L. H. Peck, Lester Hoard, and L. H. Doyle were the building committee. The first funeral held in the church was that of an infant child of Ferdinad and Kate Pinkrou, in the fall of 1873, Rev. Oppen, of Columbus, a german preacher, officiating. The first marrige in the church was that of D. W. Edwards and Mattie James, October 21, 1874.
Protestant Episcopal Church--Rev. F. C. Eldred organized a church here November 21, 1877, with the election of George Hall, Warden; J. G. Smith, Treasurer; Niels Raimer, Secrutary. Mr. Eldred discharged the duties of pastor of the church , until the summer of 1879, when he was succeeded by Rev. Mr. Burlsom. For the first two years, services were held every Friday evening, with occasional visits from the minister at other times. In the fall of 1879, the time of services was changed to each Sunday evening.
Good Templars--W. P. St. John, D. G. W. C. T., of Portage City, visited the place June 26, 1869, and instituted a lodge of twenty-nine charter members. These composing their first officers and charter members were Lemuel H. Doyle, W. C. T.; Emma L. Holmes, W. V. T.; Delevan E. Moore, W. S.; Isaac B. Downs, W. C.; David Edwards, W. F. S.; Cora A. Downs, W. T.; D. W. Edwards, W. M.; Delila E. Doyle, W. D. M.; Ella Doyle, W. I. G.; Falton R. Morris, W. O. G.; Mary E. Doyle, R. H. S.; Nellie Peck, L. H. S.; Lester HoardP. W. C. T.; Charles M. Morris, Henery A. Doyle, Joseph Doyle, Lettie C. Edwards, Norman R. Dayton, David D. James, Brigetta A. Waters, Ira C. Edwards, Clarence Peck, T. C. Hopkins, Charles M. Peck, Fannie Hopkins, James Hopkins, Mary Hopkins, Mary J. Doyle, and John E. Hancock. For five years, the lodge continued in successful operation. In consequence of the removal of the greater number of its most active workers, it was compelled to suspend.
Patrons of Husbandry--Union Grange, No. 430, Patrons of Husbandry, was orginised March 5, 1874, by Deputy Kennedy Scott, assisted by John Sanderson, of Cambria. The first officers were Lemuel H. Doyle, Master; George Hall, Overseer; John J. Scott, Treaasurer; Peter Morse, Secrutary; Jerome R. Nasholds, Lecturer; Franklin Andrews, Steward; Charles Peck, Assistant Steward; Edward F. Palmer, Chaplin; F. C. Councilman, Gate Keeper; Mary V. Andrews, Stewardess; Ellen M. Titcomb, Ceres; Harreit Palmer, Ponona; Sarah Youngs, Flora; Cora A. Downs, Mary J. Doyle, Ida Andrews, George Youngs, Lyman B. Ward, Dexter Titcomb, George Williams, Sarah A. Hall, Mary E. Doyle, Thomas W. Dayton, Demosthenes Nasholds, Anthony Snowden. The first meetings of the grange were held in Hoard's Hall, afterward in Methodist Ecopicipal Church. A grange store was started in 1877, but both grange and store were discontinued in 1878.